Today is Black Monday, when everyone's office internet fails as people shop online at their desk. It is also the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
Today is a great day to show your solidarity by engaging in both buy-cott and boycott actions to support Palestinian human rights.
- Start by buying products that support the Palestinian economy, such as those we offer in cooperation with Canaan Fair Trade at our online store. A portion of the sale price supports our work.
- Or make a gift to the US Campaign through our Amazon.com Wish List, which has everything we need to get our office running smoothly in the New Year.
- Then buy "End the Occupation" gifts for your family and friends. One cannot have too much Palestine paraphenalia, such as a warm winter hoodie or "End the Occupation" coffee mug.
- You can also join our "Save (the) Amazon" team. So far there are nearly 200 of us. Myself included.
- Take part in protests, demonstrations and other creative actions against products and companies that support Israeli occupation and apartheid.
Tonight my team and I will be at George Washington University with our local Students for Justice in Palestine, listening to our great friend and former steering committee member, Huwaida Arraf, as well as our own National Advocacy Director, Josh Ruebner, talk about the international achievements in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement, and other direct actions to support Palestinian human rights.
Our eyes will be glued to the computer today, reading the latest WikiLeaks revelations – more than a quarter of a million pages on the U.S. Government's role in exacerbating conflicts in the Middle East and around the world.
The WikiLeaks documents are a reminder of the need for civil society stand up and take action. Remember that our government was the LAST in the world to stop supporting South African apartheid.
The responsibility to demand change is on us.Rob Mosrie