RAMALLAH (Ma’an) -- Female detainee Hana Shalabi has been moved to solitary confinement as a punishment for her hunger strike action, a lawyer from the Ministry of Detainees said Monday.
Shireen Iraqi said that Hasharon prison authorities have moved Shalabi into isolation. Her health is deterioting, Iraqi said, adding that Shalabi has not been medically examined since she went on strike.
Hana Shalabi, from the northern West Bank village Burqin, is being held without charge since her detention on Feb. 16. She announced her hunger strike immediately after soldiers seized her from the family's Jenin-district home.
Shalabi said through her lawyer that she is not afraid of death and will continue to refuse administrative detention.
Shalabi was freed in October 2011 when Hamas secured the release of more than 1,000 Palestinians in Israeli jails in exchange for a captured Israeli soldier.
She had spent 25 months in administrative detention, under procedures that allow Israel to detain Palestinians for renewable terms of six months without pressing charges, using laws dating back to the British Mandate period.
Four months later, Shalabi found herself back in jail using the same detention orders. Three other detainees released under the same deal were re-arrested by Israeli forces last week.
Israel is holding 309 Palestinians in administrative detention, according to figures by prisoners rights group Addameer. There are currently six Palestinian woman in Israeli custody.