A nine-person Scottish PSC Delegation spent some of Christmas & New Year in the occupied Jordan Valley, the scene of a fresh wave of Israeli ethnic cleansing of local Palestinian farmers. While there, we also saw the Israeli Army on manoeuvres to prepare for their next invasion of Lebanon. Israel's YNet News reported ‘a senior officer’ claiming that “I have no doubt that in the next war the results will be better”.
With US$3billion in US military aid last year, Israel is planning to carpet bomb areas of Lebanon in response to its humiliation by a thousand Lebanese guerillas in 2006.
Scottish PSC are working to level the playing field in the struggle by Palestinians for their freedom. We work to build the international campaign of BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) into a real threat to Israel's ability to smash Palestinian lives and society with impunity.
2010 saw some significant victories for SPSC. Members:
- won a landmark legal case in a Scottish courtroom that saw off attempts to criminalise solidarity with Palestine
- drove French multinational Veolia, a key violator of Palestinian human rights, from front-runner to an also-ran for contract with Edinburgh City Council
- were in Cairo on the Gaza Freedom March to try to beak the siege of Gaza
- helped to get the Palestinian flag flying once again over Dundee City Chambers
- spread West Dunbartonshire Council's boycott commitment to Stirling
We face serious challenges, notably the Scottish Government's regrettable decision to fund Israeli settler company Eden Springs to the tune of £200,000 and Glasgow City Council's ongoing annual delivery of £220,000 of council tax to the same human rights violators.
Together we can make a difference – a critical difference.
Recently added articles
Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign
c/o Peace & Justice Centre
Edinburgh EH2 4BJ
00 44 (0)131 620 0052
00 44 (0)795 800 2591
Get involved - campaign, lobby, take action...
Contact Scottish PSC branches to find out more about activities in your area: